The United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) is a 3-step examination for medical licensure in the United States and is sponsored by the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) and the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME). The USMLE program supports medical licensing authorities in the United States through its leadership in the development, delivery, and continual improvement of high-quality assessments across the continuum of physicians’ preparation for practice.
The Examination committee which is composed of medical educators and clinicians creates the examination materials. Committee members broadly represent the teaching, practice and licensing communities across the United States.
STEP 1 assesses the examinee’s understanding and ability to apply important concepts of the sciences basic to the practice of medicine with special emphasis on principles and mechanisms highlighting health, disease and modes of therapy.
- Approximately 310 multiple-choice questions, divided into seven 60-minute blocks.
- Computer based test that is administered at Prometric test centres around the world
- 8 hours test conducted in one day.
STEP 2 assesses the examinee’s ability to apply medical knowledge, skills, and understanding of clinical science essential for the provision of patient care under supervision with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention. The clinical skills examination is a separate component of STEP-2 and uses standardized patients to test examinees on their ability to gather Information from patients, perform physical examinations, and communicate their findings to patients and colleagues.
- Clinical Knowledge (CK) contains approximately 350 multiple-choice questions divided into eight 60-minute blocks.
- Computer based test which is administered at Prometric test centres around the world.
- Clinical Skills (CS) consists of 12 patient cases: 15 minutes for each patient encounter and 10 minutes to record each patient’s notes.
- 8 hours test conducted in one day.
STEP 3 assesses the examinee’s ability to apply medical knowledge and understanding of biomedical and clinical science essential for the unsupervised practice of medicine, with emphasis on patient management in ambulatory settings. It is a two day test.
Day 1 : FOUNDATIONS OF INDEPENDENT PRACTICE (FIP) assesses the examinee’s knowledge of basic medical and scientific principles essential for effective health care.
- Approximately 260 multiple-choice test questions, divided into six 60-minute blocks, each containing approximately 44 questions
- One day test session – seven hours.
Day 2 : ADVANCED CLINICAL MEDICINE (ACM) assesses the examinee’s ability to apply comprehensive knowledge of health and disease in the context of patient management and the evolving manifestation of disease over time.
- Approximately 200 multiple-choice test questions, divided into six 45-minute blocks, each containing approximately 33 questions.
- Thirteen computer-based case simulations (CCS). Each simulation is allotted a maximum of 10 or 20 minutes of real time.
- One day test session – nine hours.
Who Is Eligible To Take The USMLE?
To be eligible for Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS your profile must be this at the time you apply and on the day of your examination:
- A medical student officially enrolled in or a graduate of a medical school listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools.
To be eligible for Step 3, before submitting your application, you must:
- Pass Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS.
Score Availability Results for computer-based examinations (Step-1, Step-2 CK, and Step 3) are typically available three to four weeks after your test date.
USLME coaching in Amritsar | Best USLME Coaching in Amritsar | USLME Coaching Institute in Amritsar | USLME Coaching Institute in Amritsar | USLME coaching in Jalandhar | Best USLME Coaching in Jalandhar | USLME Coaching Institute in Jalandhar | USLME Coaching Institute in Jalandhar | USLME coaching in Ludhiana | Best USLME Coaching in Ludhiana | USLME Coaching Institute in Ludhiana | USLME Coaching Institute in Ludhiana | USLME coaching in Mohali | Best USLME Coaching in Mohali | USLME Coaching Institute in Mohali | USLME Coaching Institute in Mohali